Summary: Lotus Notes email client uses NSF files for saving its complete data, whether its messages, contacts, calendars, etc. Apparently, Outlook utilizes the PST to store its data. Due to several situations, users wanted to convert NSF to PST, and this blog revolves around explaining the reasons and the solution for the conversion.
In recent years, the email client market has completely shifted because of the increase in user demand. To fulfill such needs, Microsoft offers Outlook to manage communication through emails effectively. On the other hand, HCL Notes is also an emailing system with multiple advanced functionalities. However, many users found Lotus Notes a bit difficult to use, while Outlook comes with a user-friendly interface making working operations easier.
Nowadays, many HCL Notes users look to convert NSF to PST due to various issues. In this article, we will discuss such issues and explain the solution to complete conversion without posing any threat to data integrity.
What Situations Lead to the NSF to PST Conversion: Explained
Lotus Notes offers some advanced features to make working easier. However, it also depends upon the user’s needs, also in the migration time; they also look for the file conversion. As one cannot import the NSF file into Outlook, you need to convert NSF to PST to access the Lotus Notes data in Outlook.
We have explained some reasons which is why users look for the conversion of the NSF files into the PST files format:
- Outlook provides a better experience to users because of its intuitive interface, while user face issues while adjusting to the Lotus Notes interface compared to Outlook.
- Maintenance cost is one of the major factors for the users to look for better alternatives. Lotus Notes users need to pay a hefty amount for the maintenance compare to Outlook.
- Users cannot operate their multiple accounts simultaneously on the HCL Notes, whereas Outlook users can handle various accounts.
- At some point in time, Lotus Notes creates issues for the users to access their data due to the synchronization problem with the Domino Server.
- Accessing the data from the NSF files in Outlook makes users to look for the NSF to PST conversion.
Different Ways to convert Lotus Notes NSF file to PST
We have divided this section into two parts, first will explain to you about the manual process to convert NSF to PST, and the rest will teach you to make the conversion using the third-party converter tool. However, the first section will constitute of two phases which are as follow:
Step: 1 Start Exporting NSF files into CSV file
- Open the HCL Notes, and move to the file tab. Click on Open to choose the IBM Notes application.
- Using browse, select the NSF file from the system and press the Open button.
- Again from the file menu, click on Export. Once done, choose Comma Separated Value from the Save as file type and mention the file’s name. Click on Export to continue.
- After customizing the settings according to your needs, click on Ok button.
- In the end, the NSF files get converted into the CSV file, which users can check at the pre-defined location.
Step: 2 Import the Resultant CSV file into Outlook
- Start Outlook and from its file tab, click on the Open & Export option>> Import/Export.
- Now, in this window, choose Import from another program or file, and click on Next.
- Choose the Outlook data file from multiple sets of options. Also, hit on Next to continue.
- Click on the browse to select the CSV file from the system.
- Also, select the appropriate option and proceed ahead with pressing next.
- Remember to select the location for saving the file and click on next.
- The last step is to click on the finish button to complete the conversion.
This method explains the working procedure to convert NSF to PST, but consider opting for the method after knowing its complete pros and cons. Users cannot selectively pick the data for the conversion as it does not provide the filter option. Also, users cannot do the bulk NSF to PST conversion; therefore, it is better to also look for alternatives to this approach.
Alternative Approach to handle the NSF to PST Conversion
We have talked about the approach to moving the data from the NSF files into Outlook. The manual approach is suitable for users with more technical knowledge to understand the complexity behind the conversion better. Therefore, to make the process to convert NSF to PST quicker and easier, choosing a third-party tool creates sense.
Shoviv NSF to PST converter tool enables tech and non-tech users to use it effortlessly. This software undoubtedly has the edge over the other solutions due to its imperative user interface and features. Users can conversion of several large-sized NSF files, and just after adding them, the software provides a preview of complete NSF file data.
This software offers users to customize their conversion task by providing the filter option. Users can apply them before starting the process to convert NSF to PST files. It is easier to set the size of the resultant PST file, and also users can check out for the incremental export option. Due to this option, if the user goes for the second tie export, it will help resume the process while exporting only the new data.
Users can also take a look at its working, which assists you in converting the file easily:
- Start the software after installing them on your system. Select Add NSF file from the software’s ribbon bar.
- The software provides you the multiple options to load NSF files. If you directly want to add .nsf from the server, use Add Domino Server file option. To search out the NSF, utilize the Search NSF files option. Select the option as per your need and click Ok to continue.
- Once the files get added to the software, the list of all items will be displayed under its preview pane. You can select all or choose any items and select the Outlook PST option.
- Now, the Export Item in the PST window will pop up, where you can pick any subfolder using the check/uncheck Subfolder option. Also, use the Exclude folder to eliminate an unwanted folder. Click on Next.
- Use the Target folder to save the location for saving the PST file. The software allows users to create ANSI as well as the UNICODE PST file. Also, users can set the PST file size and password. Choose the incremental export option, and then click on the Next button.
- It also allows you to select the item you want to export. Along with it, select the date range to export the selected data. You can also use the folder mapping option if required. Otherwise, go towards selecting the Next.
- This NSF to PST converter tool will now start converting the user NSF files, and users can also see the live process log. Whenever the process completes, then press the finish button.
We hope you find this blog useful and make it easier to perform the conversion task. This article describes certain reasons behind the user’s motto to convert NSF to PST and the solution to make the conversion quicker. However, the manual method to transfer NSF file data into PST causes non-tech users problems and has many downsides. Conversely, users can also look at the third-party software described in this write-up which has a better user interface and helps to overcome the manual methods limitation.