The OST file is an offline file folder in Microsoft Outlook. This can be used even in offline mode and will automatically sync when connected to the internet, whereas Outlook PST file is utilized to store the server’s data (except for the Exchange server) on the user’s the hard drive. This blog explains how to transfer an OST data file to a PST file format. It will also distinguish the benefits and drawbacks of each of these OST to PST export approaches, as well as suggest conventional methods.
One of the primary distinctions between Outlook OST and PST formats
- PST is a personal storage folder, whereas OST is an offline storage folder.
- While OST can be utilized online, PST is only used locally.
- OST only supports the Microsoft Exchange server, but PST files can be used on servers other than the Exchange configuration.
- OST files allow users to read, view, compose emails, and so on even when they are offline, whereas PST files do not.
Note: You can get free OST to PST converter software by clicking the following link:
Let us look at some of the possible reasons for converting an OST file to a PST file:
- When the mailboxes on the server are deleted
- A conversion forces you to back up your Exchange mailboxes.
- An Exchange user wants to rebuild the.ost folder, but there are some unsaved items in the file.
- If a user wants to view an.ost file saved in Outlook 2013 on another device, they must use Outlook 2016.
- A server problem prevents access to the.ost files.
Here are the Best Ways to Convert an OST File to a PST File.
This article will discuss the top 3 techniques for switching an OST file to a PST file. The third option is recommended for a safe and secure conversion process.
Solution 1: Using the Archiving Method, migrate data from an OST file to a PST file.
When Archiving is enabled, Outlook emails from an OST file are stored in new PST files. It also helps to maintain the size of your mailbox.
To do this, adhere to the instructions listed below:
- Select File in the Outlook application on your computer.
- After selecting File, select Options.
- Pick Auto-Archive options from the drop-down menu at this point.
- Choose which days will be used for auto-archiving.
- Then select the save location.
- Select the Archiving option and then press the OK button.
The items in your OST file will be saved in the PST file once these processes are finished. You can see the transferred OST to the PST file.
Solution 2: Using an Exchange Account, export an OST file to a PST file.
First, sign in to Outlook using the Exchange account that will be used to generate the OST file in order to export an OST file to PST format.
Follow the steps outlined below:
- Select Open & Export from the Files menu after opening it.
- Select the Import and Export option.
- Select the Export file and then press Next.
- After choosing Outlook Data File (.pst), click Next.
- Click Next after choosing the folder you wish to export.
- Go to the spot where you wish to save the file right now.
- The format of your file was changed from OST to PST.
It is crucial to realize that OST files must be converted to PST files when Exchange is inaccessible, whether temporarily or permanently. Manually converting OST files to PST files has a lot of drawbacks.
Let us go over the limitations that occur during conversion, which are listed below:
- Recovering an Exchange Mailbox from an Orphaned OST File: Orphaned OST files are.ost files that have been disconnected from any Exchange server. Such. ost files are the user’s only source of information if Exchange is deleted or fails, and there is no manual way to convert them.
- A similar Exchange account is required: Accessing the.ost file with a different Exchange account is not permitted. The only individual who can convert an OST file to a PST file is the original Outlook user. Another drawback of manual conversion is this.
- Converting Corrupted OST Files: Corrupted OST files cannot be opened by email clients. When Exchange is unavailable, no one can create.ost files to replace the damaged ones. In these cases, manual OST to PST conversion is impossible.
- Time-consuming: Different Outlook versions have different locations for storing.ost files. They are challenging to locate because of this. They can be retrieved or converted to PST using various techniques. Overall, it is a time-consuming process.
Note: Only skilled or knowledgeable individuals are willing to manually convert an OST file to a PST file. If you want to convert a file but are not an expert, use software for a better and faster choice rather than performing manual modifications.
Solution 3: Technical Assistance for Using Software to Convert OST to PST Format:
Use software that is reliable or helpful while converting your data files. Based on my previous experience, I recommend that you use Gaintools OST to PST Converter Software to convert an OST file to a PST file format. You can convert quickly and easily with this software. This software has a big quantity of cutting-edge features. Let’s take a look at it.
The features of Gaintools OST to PST Conversion Software include:
- Email, events, calendars, contacts, Tasks, Journals, and other data can be converted.
- Bulk export and auto-locate.
- Display the restored deleted data.
The OST migration program supports Windows and Microsoft Outlook versions.
- You Must Follow The Following Guidelines When Using This Software:
- Download the software, then install it on your computer.
- The first screen will appear after you launch the software.
- Browse an OST file using the software’s browse button.
- View the entire contents of the OST file.
- Select PST as the output file and click the Export button.
- Finally, open Outlook and import the OST file.
We are all aware that the Exchange Server’s crucial data is all contained in OST files. Importing is not a simple process. The user gets into a lot of difficulties as a result. We talked about the Manual Solution, the Facts, and the Situation’s Restrictions in order to understand the case. Although the manual process has some benefits, it also has some drawbacks. It is therefore recommended to convert Outlook OST to a PST file using a straightforward procedure.