Summertime is a great time to enjoy the outdoors, but it also means that more people are spending time outdoors and closer to their sewage lines. That means it’s important to be aware of some Sewage Cleaning Perth maintenance tips to keep in mind this summer!
What to expect during the summer
When the temperatures start to rise and the days get longer, many people think about spending more time outdoors. However, if you live in a town or city with a sanitary sewer system, your thoughts may turn to keeping your drains clear of blockages.
During the summer season, when there’s increased rainfall and runoff, the sanitary sewer system can become overwhelmed. This is especially true in older systems that were not upgraded as part of larger infrastructure projects. During heavy rainstorms, water accumulates in sewers faster than it can be discharged, which causes sewage to back up into homes and businesses.
Here are some tips to keep your drainage system clean this summer:
1. Clear any debris from around your drain lines using a rake or hoe before rains fall. This will help prevent blockages from forming during heavy rains.
2. Don’t pour large amounts of water down your drain during rainstorms – this only creates more flooding and messes up your drainage system further. Instead, use a bucket or hose to wash down sidewalks or driveways if necessary.
3. If you notice water flowing slowly or stopping altogether from your sink or bathtub drain, don’t panic – call a professional plumber right away. This could be due to an obstruction on the pipe below which needs to be cleared out before normal operations can resume.
4. Keep an eye out for green algae blooms growing along waterways and near storm drains – these are signs that sewage is being discharged untreated into the environment. Report any suspicious blooms to your local environmental health department for further investigation.
5. If you experience flooding or drainage issues, don’t wait – call a professional right away. This could be due to an obstruction on the pipe below which needs to be cleared out before normal operations can resume.
6. If your home was built before 1978, you may need to call a professional to have your drainage system inspected and upgraded. This is because older systems were not designed to handle heavy rainfalls or the additional flow that comes with summertime.
7. Never pour oil, gasoline, or other hazardous materials down the drain – these substances can create dangerous blockages. Instead, call a professional to unblock your drain.
8. If you have pets, make sure they’re not putting their paws or claws in the sink or bathtub drain – this can cause blockages. Clean up any messes your pet makes right away!
How to keep your sewage line in good working condition
Summertime is a great time to take care of your sewage line. Here are some tips to keep your line in good working condition:
1. Make sure the septic tank is properly pumped and cleaned out every year. This will help eliminate odors and prevent backups.
2. Inspect the line regularly for any breaks or damage. Fix any issues as soon as possible to prevent leaks and flooding.
3. Keep an eye on the soil around the pipe, especially during heavy rains or snow melt season. If there is water standing near the pipe, it may be time to call a professional to check it out.
4. To avoid blockages, use a proper sewer auger when clearing debris from around your lines. Never use a plunger – this can cause serious damage to your pipe!
5. If you notice any unusual smells or your line is leaking, please call our office for a consultation. We can help you identify the issue and determine the best course of action.
6. Be sure to sign up for our email notifications so you always know when there is an update on our line maintenance.
7. Finally, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call Emergency Flood Restoration Perth. We would be happy to help!
Summer is a time when many people are outside enjoying the sun and fun, but it’s also a time when sewer lines can become overloaded with rainwater and other debris. Make sure to take some important steps to keeping your sewer line in good condition so that you don’t have any problems during this hot season. For Professional Sewage Cleaning Perth, call us at 0480029224 today.