With massive data to process and constant communication via file transfer, no longer can this business landscape rely on the traditional file transfer protocols. This is why we see an increasing number of companies/organizations opting for managed file transfer solutions.
But, what are managed file transfer solutions?
Managed File Transfer (MFT) is a platform which makes use of encryption and industry standard file transfer protocols to share data. MFT provides a secure solution for sharing sensitive and high volume data across the organization with a centralized administration point. An increasing number of companies are using this platform to automate, simplify and streamline their file transfer process.
Why the prefix of “managed” to the processing?
The reason behind using the prefix managed is the following capabilities that it has, which are:
- Providing end to end security of the data in transit and point to point reporting of the file transfers;
- Automating the entire file transfer and business processes. For example, it will provide crystal report automation when scheduling crystal reports.
- Proffers enhanced auditing and reporting which ensures compliance with the HIPAA, GDPT and such regulations.
- Validating the authenticity of the data being sent with a digital signature;
- Ensuring files integrity remains intact;
- Ensuring timely delivery of the file and adequate recovery, if there is an error in the file transfer.
Why should every organization adopt managed file transfer solutions?
- An MFT solution provides automation in operation, thereby reducing manual work and the vulnerability of error in file transfer. This further minimizes the time invested, enhancing the efficiency of the process. This way a managed file transfer protocol reduces the overall operating cost of the organization, thus saving significant time and money.
- Data breach and leakage has become a plaque in this world of unsecured internet connectivity and communication. An MFT solution put in place will ensure secure transfer of the file. Your data will be thus shared in a safe and secure environment, adhering to the compliance laws. The reliable MFT solution will also keep quality control in check.
- With MFT solutions ensuring that no file and data gets compromised, the quality of services being dispensed by the business gets enhanced. This in return will improve the Service Level Agreements and escalate the chances of better visibility of your company.
- What are some essential things to look for before adopting a managed file transfer solution?
- Now, you will find many MFT solutions in the market, but how to decide which one is the most suitable for your business. Keep these determinants into consideration when looking for an MFT Solution:
- Whether or not the provides easy and secure sharing of files between internal as well as the external users?
- Does it offer seamless integration with the various existing applications and desktops?
- Does it provide comprehensive automation with a single integrated solution, reducing manual work and ensuring visibility to all those authorized with a single point of control? Does it automatically tracks the data and run logs?
- Do the system architecture promise scalability and performance improvement?
- Does it come with the option of running the solution on-premise as well as on the cloud?
- Will it be able to reduce the manual work, the cost, and complexity without compromising on productivity?
- Whether or not it supports high volume file transfers to ensure quicker sharing of data when required?
- How does it ensure security and compliance? Does it provide security alerts? Does it offer multi-factor authentication to proffer more protection to the data and files being transferred?
How to develop a highly effective MFT strategy?
- Standardize the entire process, from implementation to error-response to save time otherwise spent in fixing minor errors, submitting forms, etc. This saved time can be strategically used towards achieving other more pivotal business goals.
- An effective MFT solution should provide full visibility in the file transfer process. Take for example, who can access the information, when were the files delivered? This helps in quick identification and address of any exception or error so that the performance is enhanced and meets up the SLA. This will add credibility to the business.
- Dedicating an individual or a team for managed file transfer processing will enhance the efficiency of the overall process. The individual/team would be responsible for adequately managing and monitoring the process. A dedicated team/individual will ensure that there are no policy violation and security issues. The real-time observation will help prevent any incident from spiraling out of control and take remedial action as quickly as possible if there is any such security accident.
Investing in a managed file transfer solution will prove beneficial to your business in the long run. Keep the pointers mentioned above in mind, and you can rest assured that your data will remain safe and secure from prying eyes of cyber criminals and competitors.